Big E Loudspeakers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Big E Loudspeakers

A Forum to discuss Big E Loudspeakers and the MVW technology

+3
870skitzofrenzy
Leland Crooks
mikearnopol
7 posters

210 pictures

mikearnopol
    mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

210 pictures Empty 210 pictures

Post by mikearnopol Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:50 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />

3rd's--going to box and ship it now

again---sorry to mention it--but if anyone wants to post to TB---I'd appreciate it!
    Leland Crooks
    Leland Crooks
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

210 pictures Empty Re: 210 pictures

Post by Leland Crooks Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:56 pm

Nice Mike.
    870skitzofrenzy
    870skitzofrenzy
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by 870skitzofrenzy Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:03 pm

Man, I've gotta say. The flex series is probably the most attractive bass cabinet I've ever laid eyes on! Truly engineering genius!
    Steve Regier
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by Steve Regier Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:36 pm

Absolutely beautiful!affraid cheers afro 
    3rdcurve
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by 3rdcurve Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:41 pm

Holy Jeebus, that thing looks rad! Spank It!

and.... Pics up on TB
    lo-freq
    lo-freq

Post by lo-freq Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:32 pm

Very nicely done there Mike!
    3rdcurve
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by 3rdcurve Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:53 pm

What is the wattage rating on this beast, and what size amp would you recommend for optimal performance?
    Leland Crooks
    Leland Crooks
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by Leland Crooks Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:53 pm

1.21 gigawatts.  alien What a Face 

Couldn't resist
    Steve Regier
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by Steve Regier Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:23 pm

3rdcurve wrote:What is the wattage rating on this beast, and what size amp would you recommend for optimal performance?
    I belive Mike put all 900watts from his Tecamp Puma into it which is it's RMS rating. In our testing it took 1200watts of Ashly power to find the limit. We don't recommend a steady diet of that much power, however.
    Steve Regier
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by Steve Regier Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:34 pm

Does this make the 210 Flex the "Mini-Fridge" of the lineup?Laughing 
    3rdcurve
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by 3rdcurve Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:50 pm

Steve Regier wrote:Does this make the 210 Flex the "Mini-Fridge" of the lineup?Laughing 
    I know that the 210 shaves about 100 lbs off my old fridge! cheers 
    Steve Regier
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by Steve Regier Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:05 pm

A hush falls across the forum as everyone anxiously awaits the first reviews of the MAS-210Flex.Suspect 
    3rdcurve
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by 3rdcurve Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:36 pm

The Eagle has landed! Much more manageable than I anticipated, nice finish, and looks badass. Initial impression - I like it ......... I like it a lot.

It was shipped with the switches in the default hifi settings. Very reminiscent of the 8x5. Mids weren't quite as sweet, but very nice. More lows an more heft as was expected. I cranked up the Streamliner 900 to see what she had and was impressed, yet I expected a little more spl. Time to hit some switches. The top three way toggle controls the tweets. One, two or none are the settings. The mids go high (much like the Baer ml112) but I prefer running one of the Ciarre tweets. There is a bright and a dark setting on the second switch which I assume controls the mid padding. Default is dark- when I switched to bright this cab became a rock monster! The missing spl suddenly appeared, everything was fuller and more punchy! I was loving it!! The bottom switch is voicing and when not in the default mode the low end seems to lessen, I like it in default mode. The last is a military arming switch. It is labeled neutral, and I am not positive what it does, when flipping it by itself I couldn't tell much of a difference. Hopefully mike can chime in on how it works, I may not be using it right.

In any case I greatly prefer the single tweet in bright mode with default voicing for rock. I imagine that this cab could work perfect for any genre with all the switching options.

My overdrive and fuzz pedals sounded glorious through the 8x5, and even more so through the 210. I had the place to myself with no noise level constraints (beauty of living in the sticks). I spent 45 minutes straight with it maxed, pedals on, diggin in with a pick. What a fricken tone!!! The pick attack and fuzz through the 8x5 is what led me to sell my CN212, through the 210 it is flat out addicting. I could noodle for hours( and did) with a stupid grin on my face.

This is just a down and dirty first impression, I will get more in depth after some more time. I believe my cab search ends here. Props to Mike and the Big E crew, this is a masterpiece!
    BigE
    BigE
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by BigE Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:49 pm

3rdcurve wrote: The last is a military arming switch. It is labeled neutral, and I am not positive what it does, when flipping it by itself I couldn't tell much of a difference. Hopefully mike can chime in on how it works, I may not be using it right.

This is just a down and dirty first impression, I will get more in depth after some more time. I believe my cab search ends here. Props to Mike and the Big E crew, this is a masterpiece!
    So you have not tried the dark setting yet?

To enable dark setting you must arm the military switch and then select dark. (Follow the line on the switch plate) and then retry the voicing settings.

BigE

(Without the military switch being armed you can not actually set the dark mode (one of my favorites))
    3rdcurve
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by 3rdcurve Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:20 am

Awesome, thanks for clarifying! So if the arming switch is not engaged what does the bright/dark switch do, because I could definitely tell a difference?
    Steve Regier
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by Steve Regier Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:09 am

The Arming switch on the 210 Flex allows a third voicing in the Bright/Dark switch. With the Arming switch in the Default setting (Off) the Bright/Dark switch is not allowed access to the PXB circuit thereby not allowing the Dark voicing. In this mode the Bright/Dark switch will only change voicing from Neutral to Bright. This allows rapid change from Neutral to Bright without accidental engagement of the Dark setting. When the Arming switch is lifted to the Arm (On) position the Bright/Dark switch then has access to the PXB circuit. If the B/D switch is in the Bright position the PXB circuit remains disengaged. If the B/D switch is then put into the Dark position the PXB circuit is engaged and the cabinet enters the Dark voicing.
    3rdcurve
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by 3rdcurve Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:15 am

Cool, Thanks! Before this my cabs had a tweeter attenuator at best.
    Steve Regier
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by Steve Regier Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:27 am

You're welcome. The Flex system in the 210 was wrought with difficulty during development. We wanted voicing options similar to the Flex system in the 110 but the addition of the additional 10" woofer without a significant change in the mid alignment presented quite a few challenges. Successfully overcoming these things took some time and an extra amount of out-of-the-box thinking. I think Mike had more than one anxious moment one this one.Razz We are all pleased that you are enjoying the end result.

FYI Tom and I find the the Dark setting with one tweet is our favorite especially when pushed at high power into PXB compression.
    Leland Crooks
    Leland Crooks
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by Leland Crooks Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:36 pm

Steve Regier wrote:The Arming switch on the 210 Flex allows a third voicing in the Bright/Dark switch. With the Arming switch in the Default setting (Off) the Bright/Dark switch is not allowed access to the PXB circuit thereby not allowing the Dark voicing. In this mode the Bright/Dark switch will only change voicing from Neutral to Bright. This allows rapid change from Neutral to Bright without accidental engagement of the Dark setting. When the Arming switch is lifted to the Arm (On) position the Bright/Dark switch then has access to the PXB circuit. If the B/D switch is in the Bright position the PXB circuit remains disengaged. If the B/D switch is then put into the Dark position the PXB circuit is engaged and the cabinet enters the Dark voicing.  
    I Give Up 
    3rdcurve
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by 3rdcurve Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:56 pm

You did a great job on the crossover! All of the settings are totally useable and great for different genres.
    BigE
    BigE
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by BigE Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:32 pm

We are really glad you like the variety of choice in your FLEX series cab. We had finalized the crossover a time or two thinking we had it only to realize that it just did not work like we hoped. It was a pain, leading to the delay in getting it out. In the end we really hoped we delivered a groundbreaking product thru Mike Arnopol Soundworks. He is making some beautiful cabs and has been busting our chops since we met.

I am so tired of, "That is the best sounding cab ever, BUT!!!!!!!!!" In the end it has truly made for much better products and sounds like you are really diggin your new cab. That really makes our day. Now go crush something with that beast of a cab!!! You know you wanna!

Please keep us up to date with your findings and experiences it is really cool to find out this stuff works in Missouri too. Heck, we were told it could not by so called experts! Who knew?
    Steve Regier
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by Steve Regier Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:46 pm

Yeah, what he said...Razz ... seriously: steel sharpens steel. Mike's input is invaluable from both a design and artist standpoint. Our goal in every aspect of the MVW product line is usability. That just can't be done in the abstract. Keep all the input comin'

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:55 pm