Big E Loudspeakers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Big E Loudspeakers

A Forum to discuss Big E Loudspeakers and the MVW technology

+7
coolhandjjl
3rdcurve
Harley Dear
bigredsix52
5StringPocket
rich4349
JGR
11 posters

gig report MA112---warning---long message

Bottomzone

gig report MA112---warning---long message - Page 2 Empty Re: gig report MA112---warning---long message

Post by Bottomzone Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:38 pm

WOW! Between Duke's post on TB and what you just said, I have never read such science-based bass cabinet expose's!!!! I guess I must be a geek who plays bass or a bass player who is a geek because those are some exciting bombs you just dropped! I am currently gigging with an EA micro 300-still kicking-through a Phil Jones Bass Neo 6B. The 6B is a pretty impressive cab for it's size, but it's not very efficient and it has a 6 ohm rating which isn't allowing the amp to open up.

Ok. So how much will an MAS112 equipped as you described set me back?

If your cab can do what you assert and is better than the F112, which to my ears does sound amazing, then you've got my attention!

Thank you so much for your passionate and technically sound response!!! By the way, if either you, Steve or Duke have authored any audio related books or papers, I would enjoy reading them!
    Steve Regier
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

gig report MA112---warning---long message - Page 2 Empty Re: gig report MA112---warning---long message

Post by Steve Regier Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:08 pm

You could start here: US MVW patent
    Bottomzone

Post by Bottomzone Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:11 pm

Cool. Thanks Steve!!!
    mikearnopol
    mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by mikearnopol Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:35 pm

Here's the pricing for the MAS112's
    MAS Essential
    One 12" 18Sound woofer---no mids     $775
    The 18sound woofer goes cleanly to 2800hz--all of the advantages of the 112 at a low price point.
    The mids are surprisingly good.

MAS112                             $990
    Either the 18Sound 800 watt woofer or the Faital 1000 watt woofer. The 18Sound is 8 ohms and the Faital is 4 or 8 ohms. This cab likes 400 watts to drive it to full volume and can handle 800 watt peaks. One of the higher power mini amps can drive the 4 ohm version crazy loud.
    The 18Sound is a bit leaner in  the mid to upper bass but still extends very low. The mids are a bit more forward. This version is very clear and muscular.
    The Faital is fuller and stronger in the mid and upper bass and also extends very low. In either version the low end is fast, focused and tight. The Faital is just a bit warmer with flatter, less aggressive mids.the 18Sound version is more muscular and aggressive---but still very hifi.

Options
    Corner wheels with a handle in the center of the rear top     $60 (most guys get this)

Ciare tweeter              $120
    The Faital mids go very high (14khz) without the tweeter. You don't really need the tweeter, but it adds a noticeable amount of "air" to the top end. You don't really notice the wteeter when it's there, but you do notice it when it's off. IMO---that's exactly how a tweeter should perform.

The prices will go up a bit in the near future. I really do try to keep them down.If you compare my cabs to other "boutique" cabs---you'll find that my parts cost is a lot higher. I had a grill manufacturer that gave me a great price. Probably too good---he stopped making grills. So now I have to use another guy that is a bit more expensive. But for right now I'll keep the prices where they are.

Lead time is around 4 weeks.

I'm also---for the time being---offering either a red or purple color on the grill and port area at no extra charge.
    mikearnopol
    mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by mikearnopol Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:37 pm

The EA Micro will drive the cab well if you get the 4 ohm version. You'll need more power for the 8 ohm cabs.
    Bottomzone

Post by Bottomzone Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:59 pm

I really appreciate the detailed answers!!!

I would most likely go with the 4 ohm Faital, the Clare tweeter-I would like the "air"- and the wheels and handle. Do you have any photos of the MAS112?

What are the MAS112 cab dimensions and weight?

How is the off axis performance of the MAS112 compared to the MA Deuce 4?(which judging by the You Tube videos is just plain stupid! Really!)

That's all the questions I have.

Thanks again!

Oh, Steve, I read the patent application....WOW!!!! That's thinking inside, outside and all around the box! A very unconventional loudspeaker with unconventional performance!

Killer bass on the Patricia Barber CD's Mike! Those are really good recordings, too!

I'm out!
    mikearnopol
    mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by mikearnopol Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:44 pm

Thanks--glad you like the recordings
    Lots of photos of the MAS112 in the Big E thread on Talkbass and my Facebook page. (Michael Arnopol Soundworks)
    The 112 is 32" tall, 15 1/2" wide and 18 1/2" deep
    around 52#
    The narrow width and the Ampeg-style "dogbone" handles make for a very east schlep.

Dispersion on all of my cabinets is similarly crazy!

One nice thing about the 112---with the two lower midranges firing at you at a 45 degree angle, you can hear the mids and highs really well even if you're right on top of the cab
    Bottomzone

Post by Bottomzone Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:24 pm

Found them.

Thanks again!!!
    Tyler Bolles
    Tyler Bolles

Post by Tyler Bolles Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:42 am

Where does the MAS112 sit volume-wise in your lineup? Specifically, how does it compare to the 46 and 66 (or the 46+26 I have)?
    mikearnopol
    mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by mikearnopol Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:18 am

I'd say that the 66 and 112 are quite similar in ultimate volume. The 210 Flex goes a little bit louder.
    VD (volume of air displaced)
    66---900
    112--900 to 1000 (the Faital goes a small bit louder)
    210 ---1200

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 am